Gyms and beauty salons are in charge of this question now. There is some success, but it’s mostly superficial. Plastic surgery only masks, but doesn’t delay the processes of aging.
Expanding sex appeal is a complex task. Its aspects include both beauty and the activity of the brain. To be sexually attractive we have to be smart and fun. One cannot solve the problem of dementia with makeup.
We have to be in an excellent physical shape to be sexually attractive, but also things should be running smoothly with our hormonal regulation.
The task of extending the period of sex appeal is extremely science-intensive. It is not only the Viagra, but a complex impact on the whole organism. It is obvious that molecular biology is responsible for sex in the modern world.
What do we know so far? Biological studies of various aspects of sexuality are on very different stages.
In some areas, like rejuvenating skin and muscle, science is on the verge of inventing effective therapies.
In other areas, like rejuvenating the brain, for example, the first fundamental discoveries have been done just very recently. I’d like to mention several “growth points” that may become key in extending sex appeal.
1. Creating artificial stem cell niches for skin rejuvenation. Interestingly, stem cell niches can be used for stimulating hair growth.
2. Studying the possibility to rejuvenate muscle satellite cells to fight sarcopenia and restore muscle tone and strength.
3. Identifying the systemic factors that facilitate rejuvenation in parabiosis (that’s when two animals share their blood systems). This model demonstrated how not only the muscle, but also the nervous system could be improved.
4. Hormonal regulation, but not using the hormone replacement therapy, but rather stimulating the endocrine glands directly.
5. The impact of diet on health.
I’d like to highlight a very powerful solution in improving sexuality – it’s gene therapy.
Right now many issues are being dealt with in this area ranging from the choice of nucleic acid intracellular delivery systems to increasing safety. However, I’m quite confident that the biological nature of human being will be radically improved and you cannot avoid using gene therapy for these applications.
Rejuvenating hypothalamus and delivering telomerase gene into various tissues get the most attention when we are talking about extending sexuality.
I’d like to note that there will be an explosive growth in the area of rejuvenating technologies soon. Out of 200+ papers, published in the Nature Journal on the topic of rejuvenation, more than 100 date within the last 2.5 years.
I am planning to write several posts about interesting research and trends in the area of extending sex appeal.